Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Introductions

Auntie Manners dropped in again today for the Miss March's weekly lesson. This week the little ladies will be PRACTICING a very important life skill, Introductions. Let's face it. No one is born knowing how to be properly introduced, nor are they born knowing how to properly introduce others. This is a skill that must be taught.

The girls were given the opportunity to see Auntie introduce me, their mother, to them. Then she intruded them to me. The girls found this highly amusing as they have known me all their lives. However, as Auntie pointed out, it is much better to LEARN a new skill in a safe environment before being expected to use it in the real world.

The girls were then given a chance to take turns introducing a sister to anther sister, what pearls of laughter occurred during this entertaining game. Once the girls were good at getting the basic name information exchanged Auntie took it to the next level. This involves knowing your friends fairly well and helping them to establish a common ground for conversation, not only are names exchanged but a helpful bit of information which both parties are interested in so they can begin a conversation. Script as follows:



Meg: Jo, I'd like you to meet my sister,
Beth. Beth, I'd like you to meet my sister, Jo. You are both my
sisters. I though you would find that interesting.


Jo: Nice to meet you Beth. So,
how do you like being Meg's sister. Personally, I find her a bit bossy at times.


Beth: Nice to meet you Jo. I
understand what you are saying. Over all I enjoy being her sister however,
she can be a bit authoritarian at times.



At this point I am shaking with laughter, tears, and embarrassment. I think next week we may have to work on uplifting conversation.

No comments: