Thursday, April 17, 2008

Do You Listen to Your Kids?

I know my first response would be "Of course, I'm with them all day. They're the only people I talk to."

But I've been reading Coach Your Kids for Life by Londa Harpster and I really spent some time thinking about this. I don't like the realization that it forced me to make. I have gotten into the habit of tuning my kids out. I mean how long do I have to listen to them talk about Club Penguin? I can feel my brain turning to mush just thinking about it.

Londa points out how important it is to really listen to our kids. To stop what we are doing, make eye contact and really listen as they prattle on. To ask questions that lead to (gasp) more information then I ever wanted to know. This were the relationship is built. This is when our kids develop the trust in us to let us know what they are thinking and feeling. If my kid knows I'm willing to listen to her talk about green scribbles that she made on paper then she will know that she can come and talk to me about deeper issues she may be facing.

It's about capturing the child's heart. I know that I want to know the heart of my children. I want to know what makes them feel alive so that I can encourage them to follow their dreams. I know that God has placed the seed of his plan for their life in their heart and I need to help water those seeds so they can grow to their fullest potential.

So my goal is to really work this week on taking the time to stop and listen to my kids. To show interest in what they are telling me so that they will learn that I am a rewarding place to share their thoughts and feelings. Otherwise I'm teaching them to go someplace else for their relational fulfillment.

Londa will be speaking at the CAPE Homeschool Conventin on May 3rd. If you want more information you can look at http://www.yakimahomeschool.com/ or here is a link to her book.

No comments: